I admit that I try not to eat fried foods very much. BUT…Fry Bread has always been a weakness for me. I especially love fry bread with my homemade Crockpot chili to make Navajo Tacos. Here is the recipe:
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
1) Mix together first three ingredients then stir in the milk. Add more flour (a little at a time) as needed until dough is no longer “sticky”.
2) On floured surface, knead dough until smooth – usually about 5 minutes.
3) Let dough stand for about 5 minutes.
4) While you are waiting for the dough, take a flat pan with high edges (deep dish) and heat on medium-low (3-4). Add oil to create a thin layer in the bottom. Make sure oil is heated before continuing.
5) Break off pieces of dough and shape them into circles that are about 1/4″ thick with a thinner depressed area in the middle.
6) Fry in oil on both sides until brown. I usually do 2-3 at a time, depending on how big you make them.
7) Use metal tongs to turn the fry bread and remove them from the pan. Place cooked fry bread on plate layered with 4-5 papers towels. This will absorb the extra grease off of the bread.
Top with honey and butter for a simple treat. If you want to make Navajo tacos, top with chili, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and onions. YUM!
Did you try this recipe? What did you think?